Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Drew's First Few Days (in the hospital)

My first night after having Drew, even though I was exhausted, was very restless. Finally, when 3:30 rolled around, I hit the button for the nurse and she came to remove my catheter, the compression booties, and a few other things. I was also able to get up and attempt to walk to the bathroom. I was somewhat more comfortable but not really enough to get decent sleep.

The next day was pretty good. I was able to eat a real meal (hospital food though, bleh) and get a shower. I walked around as much as I could stand, because so many people had told me how much better I'd feel if I did. I still felt pretty rotten and attributed much of that to the lack of sleep. I truly believe in rest to help a body heal.

Drew was circumcised early that morning. Dr. Song came in to talk to us about it. I felt awful, had had such a small amount of sleep, and was still on whatever medicine made me fall asleep mid-sentence. Here I was needing to listen to her about a very important procedure, and was falling asleep. She said, "Aww, I'm lulling you back to sleep." I was mortified and quickly explained the meds I was on. Why she couldn't talk more to Tommy, I don't know. I even signed about 5 different forms while out of it. Not good - I could have signed his life away! The really embarassing thing was that she also came in on our last day in the hospital with Addie, and we were still asleep. She told us then not to move or worry with it, that it'd be the last time we got to sleep in a while - and she was right! I'm sure she thinks we are crazy or lazy one!

 Loving on this little angel was still worth every bit of pain!
 We had several visitors, Amber being one. (Our friend Shannon came to visit the first night, but I slept through that visit!) She is a great friend that is also a nurse at the hospital. She visited us often while we were there and was always fun to be around.
 Our good friend David, who had just gotten home from Iraq, also came to visit (but I didn't get a picture), and my long term sub's (who has become a friend - I taught her daughter a few years prior) husband came to visit. He's a pediatrician who stopped by during his rounds.
 My mom picked Addie up after school and brought her to the hospital. She couldn't wait to hold Drew again.
 She saw me nurse him while she was there. After I finished she went and sat beside Tommy on the couch and pulled her dress up. She said, "Now I'm going to feed him with my booby!" And was dead serious and upset when we told her and tried to explain why she couldn't. Bless her sweet heart!
 Before coming to the hospital, Mom and Addie stopped by Build-A-Bear. Mom let Addie build herself and Drew a bear. I thought that was so sweet and I can't wait for Addie to tell him and show him when he can remember!

 Here I am with my boy! A little better looking but obviously still tired. I got smart though and took an Ambien that night. I knew it was safe to take due to many other friends doing the same thing. Drew went to the nursery and I slept like a rockstar. I was so nervous to do it, but after that first night, I had to do something.
 The next day was great! I felt so much better. I walked around a good bit, put on my own clothes (I attempted pajamas and immediately took them off. I'm glad I thought at the last minute to pick up a new gown - the pajamas killed my stomach at my incision!)
 Drew was already showing signs of reflux. He spit up a good bit, one time even scaring me so much that I called the nurse. She took him to the nursery and put a tube down his throat sucking out the excess liquid in there. He did much better after that.
 My sweet friend Brooke came to visit, but I didn't get a picture!
 Tommy went home for a little bit and to pick up Addie from school. Mom spent another day with me in the hospital and we enjoyed ourselves. She learned to use my camera (taking these pictures) and we even shopped online a bit for our new baby!
 Addie came back after school, happy as ever!
 Our wonderful friend and constant source of encouragement (and Tommy's former boss), Jim, came to visit and brought Drew the most adorable gifts. He and his wife Jan came to visit Addie too.
 Drew's Aunt Christie and her boyfriend came to visit as well, and brought Drew a Clemson teddy bear!

Probably my favorite visitor came on our last day. Dr. Lessey. Dr. Lessey is my fertility doctor and a true miracle worker. Every doctor and nurse in that practice may as well be angels. Dr. Lessey actually did my embryo transfer with Drew. (With Addie, Dr. Moore did both my retrieval and transfer, and with Drew, Dr. Lykes did my retrieval.) When Dr. Lessey came in to see me, he said that he had held him as an embryo, and boy did that bring a flood of emotions. True miracle worker and a man (and practice) that holds a very, very special place in our hearts.
People were right. With a second child, and with a c-section, the hospital stay is like a vacation! Especially once I was sleeping good. We had fabulous nurses (one even brought us a box of snacks one night!) that I actually missed once we got home. My doctors were great, Drew's pedicatricians were great, and even my hematologist came to see me and was wonderful. Everyone spent time with us and sat and talked and we felt very cared for and loved. I am so thankful and grateful for our blessing and for Greenville Hospital Systems in general. We now have two miracles due to them and couldn't ever possibly express our love and thanks enough.

1 comment:

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie