Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I Do It!!!

This is one of Addie's new sentences, and man did she prove it to us the other day on the playground. Tommy came home from work and took Addie down to the playground in our neighborhood (which is all of a 2 minute walk - yay!). About 10 minutes later, I got a phone call. Tommy called to ask me if I had seen Addie climb up the playset and slide down all by herself yet? I had just taken her there the day before, but I didn't even give her the opportunity to do that. So of course, I go tearing down there, with camera in hand. Sure enough, my sweet baby girl could do just about everything, all by herself! And we are NOT talking toddler playground equipment here. We are talking about the big stuff, that is over my head!


As we were playing, the big sister of the little girl across the street from us, who is exactly 10 days older than Addie, came by. Addie was talking way more than her, and playing with the equipment way more than her. The older sister (who was, say, in 5th grade) was kind of upset, constantly asking me questions about how long Addie's been talking, etc. I just assured her that all children develop on their own time and said that the reason Addie's probably playing so well on the equipment is because of the older children she stays with every day. And that I do believe. And for one of very few times ever, I have been absolutely ecstatic about the fact that Addie is at a babysitter every day, playing with and learning with other children. She can interact well with others, knows how to share and apologize, and can do developmental things that absolutely amaze me! I know for a fact that it would not be a good thing for Addie for me to stay home with her all day. I'd rotten her to death, and I'd be too afraid to let her do things like play on her own on the equipment on the playground. (Again, I'd just taken her there the day before and the thought didn't even cross my mind. Tommy takes her and she does it!) Even being a teacher, I know I wouldn't spark the creativity and developmental milestones that can be put in place by other children. [Every time I start to feel guilty about not staying home with her each day, I just need to remind myself of this. And be thankful that I have the fabulous hours that I do and the great days off that I do - woohoo! (To all of my readers, please remember that this is my scrapbook for our family, as well as a way to keep our loved ones up to date on our happenings and adventures. I want my Addie-girl to know that we chose for her to stay with other children for a reason. I am by no means being an advocate for either side of the matter. This is the decision Tommy and I made. I could have very easily stayed home with her. However, I love being a teacher and love even more what all I can do with this as Addie gets older - be a principal, be an assistant superintendent, be a college professor - all things I have/am considering. I love the fact that I will be able to retire before I'm 50 and Tommy and I can have more just "us" time, also allowing me to visit her and do with her, as she is an adult, anything I choose, just as my mom is able to do with me. I also love the fact that I have my undergrad and 2 masters degrees and hope that I'm showing Addie how important education is. Again, these are the choices Tommy and I have made for our family after careful and lengthy consideration and prayer. I know each of you have done the same with your family and the choice you made was what was right for your family.)]

I'm just blown away by what she can do every single day. Tommy and I often find ourselves looking at each other and just smiling. I'm so excited and proud of my girl! (With tear in eye, nonetheless!)




This was also the first time she's ever worn her Crocs - cute aren't they? Please excuse her playclothes - she had done just that that day - played her little heart out, and they were nasty dirty!

And definitely please excuse me, I was in my "don't leave the house clothes" and didn't expect Tommy's phone call!



I could stare at these pictures of my happy girl for hours!






Look at that hair! She was going that fast!

Love how she has to get off of the slide - it is that tall!

This was when I first got there - she was up in the top part - precious!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie