Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Card Out-takes

I am really picky about my Christmas cards. To say the least, I am not happy with what will be going out this year. I thought I'd found a deal - let's just say, "You get what you pay for!" However, that just means next year's card will have to be amazing!

It all began with the Santa pictures. After I saw her explosion when meeting Santa for the first time, I cancelled my expensive, but beautiful, portrait session with a fabulous upstate photographer. I wasn't wild about his backdrop. (White, silver, even Santa was in white, etc. - Addie Kate has a white Christmas dress - I knew that wouldn't look good.) I guess I just needed an excuse to cancel it really. Then I started thinking of last year, and her Christmas card picture was in front of our tree, which made it special. I remembered how I had to drag our ottoman out of the living room, then put her in her Boppy, propped up, to get a decent angle. After no less than 100 pictures, at least 3 different days of trying, my sweet baby girl, at under 2 months old, smiled for the camera. I decided then that this year's picture would be in front of our tree as well, and that I'd want that every year. Again, tracking her growth with each Christmas. I have a hard time understanding putting my child in front of a fake tree, tackily decorated, at a studio! To each his own, but Christmas is about home, family, and tradition for me.

That being said, have you seen the Hallmark picture album that is out this year called Pictures with Santa or something to that effect? Addie Kate's Aunt Laurie showed it to me and I am all over that! Now that's a fabulous way to display Santa pictures!
I love a professional portrait, but I also love the sweet moments I capture of my girl by myself. Not to mention the fact that the kind of professional portrait I want from now on are only, maybe, done once a year - whew, they are expensive!

So, whether our cards remain pictures of my girl in front of our tree, or a professional portrait, or a picture of our whole family, is still to be determined. But for now, our girl in front of our tree, the look of wonder, amazement, excitement, and innocence on her face, is what Christmas with the Sweatmans is all about!
Here are the pictures that didn't make the cut for the card. You'll have to hold out for the winners!












No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie