Monday, February 25, 2008

Not for the weary...

Note - this is not for the weak of stomach! But if I am truly going to both use this blog to keep all of you updated Addie Kate's milestones, and if I am going to use it as a "diary" for her, then this must be entered!

Tommy and I (mostly Tommy) had our first big parenting milestone yesterday evening. Hold on to your hats...

When I went to pick up Addie from Mrs. Lu's on Friday, she told me that she thought she was constipated. She had been "straining" (for lack of a better word) almost all day and had passed very little. So, she gave her 1 oz. of warm water, and nothing. I gave her a tsp. of Karo syrup a little later, and still nothing. I felt so bad for my little girl! We went all day Saturday and NOTHING! She was very fussy 3 different times on Sunday and that is just not like her at all. So, I could take it no more and Tommy and I tried the "thermometer" trick (for those of you who don't know, you stick the thermometer up her behind like you are taking her temperature in hopes she'll try to push it out, and a little poo will come with it!) , and NOTHING! I was beyond frustrated. So, I fed her and then I started cooking dinner. Addie was in the kitchen with me, in her bouncey seat, just talking and talking to the little animals on it, then she quit. I looked over and saw her "straining" (I know, nice word!) and told Tommy. He said, "good, if she goes I'll even volunteer to change it!" (Yes, we were that excited over a possible poo!)

So, we make sure she was finished (we've made that mistake once before) and he took her upstairs to change her. All of a sudden I hear Tommy yelling at me to bring him some wipes. I run take them upstairs and walk into the biggest mess I have ever seen. I screamed, "What the *&^# happened?" as I look at my husband with poo hanging off of his arm, look at the changing table with poo ALL over it, and look at my VERY happy daughter about 1 centimeter away from kicking in it! Apparently, Addie had only passed a rock-looking thing and Tommy did the thermometer trick again, and it worked. Oh, what a mess. Tommy had to clean himself up, then he had to bathe Addie, while we took apart the changing table and washed it and her bear (yes, the sweet little bear that is in her video below), and I went back to cooking dinner. Whew, that was a blast.

I told Tommy that I didn't think you qualified as real parents until you had to deal with something like that. Tommy's just thankful that it happened to him so he didn't have 2 messes to clean up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by: Designs by Jamie